PISTACHIO, CARDAMON & ROSEWATER CAKE (healthy version)
I always wanted to try this recipe, I substituted the sugar and butter with honey and vegetable oil and it turned out really good hope you will like my healthy version of it.
3 cardamom pods, ruised, seeds reserved, pods discarded
1 cup (150g) pistachios, plus extra chopped pistachios to serve
1 cup (100g) almond meal
170g fine semolina
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/3 cup Honey, softened
1 1/2 cups Vegetable Oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs rosewater
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200g Greek yoghurt
200g creme fraiche
1 tbs icing sugar, sifted
1 tbs rosewater
100ml lemon juice
1/3 cup (80ml)
1/2 cup Honey
Preheat oven to 180°C.
1. To make the cake, place cardamom seeds and pistachios in a food processor and whiz until pistachios are finely ground. Transfer pistachio mixture to a bowl and add almond meal, semolina, baking powder and 1/4 tsp fine salt. Stir to combine.
2. Place oil and honey in a stand mixer and beat until well combined. With the mixer on, slowly add egg, beating well. Fold through the pistachio mixture, then add lemon zest and juice, rosewater and vanilla until just combined. Spread the mix into prepared pan and use a palette knife to smooth the surface. Bake for 40 min or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean but a little oily.
3. Meanwhile, for the rosewater cream, place all ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk to medium peaks. Cover and chill until needed.
4. For the syrup, in the final 10 minutes of cake cooking, place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, drizzle with hot syrup (it looks like a lot of syrup; the hot cake will absorb it). Sprinkle with extra pistachios and set cake aside in the pan to cool to room temperature.
5. Remove cake from the pan and scatter with roses and decoration and rosewater cream.